Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Questions you should never ask someone you meet in Goa...

My time in Goa flew by – who knew 3 months could go by so fast?  Now in Delhi, I've spent some time reflecting (and trying to remember) exactly where the time went.  Aside from dabbling as a Bollywood/ Bhangra DJ and dance instructor, I spent a lot of time exploring by scooty, watching the amazing sunsets (I know, I know, but they were so beautiful!), and hippy-ing out at the drum circle (who knew the djembe was so awesome?  ...now I do because I own one!)

Goa is state of mind more than anything.  Those who go there for the 'season' or longer than a short drunken holiday, really find like-minded people and a vibrant culture cultivated by those who have really invested in the 'goan culture' – the artists, musicians, entrepreneurs and adventurerers are everywhere.  Goa is also just plain fun, no matter how you look at it (remind me again why we say too much fun is a bad thing?)  One of my favorite things about Goa (aside from the amazing things that happen when my hair is exposed to saltwater every day) is the openess and judgement-free attitude – anyone can try anything (obviously this opens the gates for touts and frauds and crazies but it also gave me a platform to try things that I would have been wayyy too scared to do anywhere else).

It's hard to explain more than this, so instead I suggest you go there yourself to discover your own Goa, but whatever you do, definitely rent a hut on the beach (relax, some even have wireless).  Don't worry about what to do or what to say, but here are a few things not to say to be sure to gel with the hippies. A few questions you should never ask someone you meet in Goa...

6.  Are you a DJ?  (Because actually, every 2nd person is one!)

5.  What was Goa like in the [insert different decade here]? (You'll just feel depressed you missed Goa at its peak.)

4.  What do you do? (...to sustain this lifestyle for half the year).

3.  How many kids do you have at home?  (Or, are you running from anything else that I don't really want to know about?)

2.  Where are your shoes?  (I told you, it's a state of mind.  But, no, really, try walking around sans shoes.  It's so liberating!)

1.  OK, forget the shoes, but where are your clothes?  (...as opposed to the hippy ones you now wear OR, more likely, the ones that actually cover your body that you used to wear when you came from wherever you came from).

But, remember, it's totally acceptable for anyone and everyone to ask a person their age, because afterall age is just a number and it doesn't necessary 'correlate' like we think it would with question #4, which is obviously taboo.

As they say in Konkani (the official language of Goa), oh wait, I didn't learn any Konkani (I'm actually quite disappointed in myself for that one).  Anyway, as they say on the Goan beaches, shanti shanti!

No comments: