Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Indian-English-isms for Survival (and other things)

The 11 'must-know' Indian-English-isms (with American-English translations).

11.  My house is bang opposite the road with the petrol bunk.
(My house is opposite the gas station.)

10.  Do the needful and revert back tomorrow itself on the same.*
(Let's catch up tomorrow.) *Huh?  Seriously?  What are these words?!

9.  What time do you reach?  I'll be there.
(What time do you arrive?  I'll be there 1.5 hours after I say I will be.)

8.  I was remembering you today only.
(I thought about you today.)

7.  I'm shifting next week.
(I'm moving next week.)

6.  The meeting has been preponed* to 11 am.
(The meeting has been moved earlier.) *I know, right, wtf! What is 'pone' anyway?!

5.  What is the USP?
(What is the ultimate selling point?  Used even in casual conversation, no MBA required.)

4.  Even if you feel pressurized, take a decision.
(Even if you feel a lot of pressure, make a decision.)

3.  That party was too good yaar.*
(The party was awesome.) *Definitely one of my favs.

2.  [Head Nod]
(Usually 'okay' or 'yes' but sometimes 'no' or 'I have no idea what you're saying.')

1.  We are like this only.
(This is how we are, get over it!)

And don't forget, a wine shop does not always sell wine, a hotel often does not have rooms and 'tolet' is not a misspelling of toilet.

3 comments:

caro said...

love. miss you pooj.

RasBeads said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pooj and jess said...

AMAZING.